Hen's teeth

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Sunday, October 22, 2006

I’m a security mom too.

Much has been said about the security moms. They think that George W. Bush will keep them safe, and the Iraq war is a good thing. Well, I’m a mom, and I have a few opinions about keeping my children safe.

Civil Liberties
I want my children to live without fear of the government. They should be able to voice their opinions without looking over their shoulders. They should be able to read what they like without being put on a watch list.

Education
I want my children to have a solid education. I want them to think and ask questions. I don’t want religious zealots choosing their textbooks. School buildings should be clean and maintained. College should be accessible to everyone.

Health
I want my children to be healthy. I want them to have access to health care. They need immunizations and check ups.

Clean Air and Water
I want my children to breathe clean air, and drink clean water. I want them to have wilderness to hike in. I want their food to be safe to eat.

Jobs
I want my children to know that they can earn a living wage doing productive work. I want them to have a roof over their heads, and the time to enjoy friends, family, and hobbies.

War
I want my children to know that their lives won’t be thrown away for a lie. We need to defend ourselves, but war should be acknowledged for the horror it is. And it should be used as a last resort.

George W. Bush has done nothing to make any of our children safer. It’s time to kick the whole lot out.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At October 25, 2006 3:07 PM, Blogger dan said...

Your children were blessed to have a mother who has a brain and sees fit to use it. Other less fortunate children have parents who offer them up as cannon fodder for the most inane cause simply because a leader waves a flag in their face.

 
At October 28, 2006 12:27 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

I will never understand how anyone can do that to their own children.

The ones that really disgust me are the chicken hawks that expect other people's children to keep their family safe.

 
At March 07, 2007 4:38 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

go aunt cheryl!
_Molly (on momma's blog)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home